Monday 31 July 2017

Book Review (YA novel) - The Impossible Story Of Olive In Love by Tonya Alexandra



I opted to read and review this book as I really liked the sound of it when I read the blurb, even though it isn't a genre that I would usually read.
The main character is 17-year-old Olive, who is burdened with an Irish gypsy curse that makes her invisible to everyone except her one true love. 
Her mother is dead, her father lives in another country. 
She has one sister, Rose, whom she lives with. 
Rose has never seen Olive, but she is a great support, and has sacrificed a lot to make Olive's life as happy as can be.
Olive has a best friend named Felix, who is blind, and she is grateful for his companionship.
But one day she meets Tom, and he sees her for the person she is. 
Can Olive make this relationship with Tom work, or will Olive always feel invisible, even when she can be seen?

I really liked the premise of this story; I was intrigued as I had never read any book that has an invisible character in it, so it was certainly different!
But unfortunately, I wasn't as convinced by it as I wanted to be.
I just couldn't get into Olive's character, and the relationship with Tom felt very rushed and rather fake at times too.
Olive is demanding and quite the drama queen, which I didn't like, though I could see why her personality would be that way, given she can't be seen by anyone and would seek attention in other ways.
I think that the author did a great job of portraying the struggles that an invisible person would face - being isolated a lot, not being able to drive or catch a taxi, or have a normal job. 
The story gelled enough for me to want to keep reading, but I can't say that it was one that will stay with me for long.
Having said that, it is clever and creative, and I think that it would appeal to young/teen readers. 


3 comments:

  1. This does sound good! By the way, thanks for the review of Horace Winter Says Goodbye from way back when, I just read it based on your thoughts and loved it.

    SSG xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the way you review books in such a balanced way. It must be so helpful to your readers. Thank you for linking up for #lifethisweek 29/52. Next week: Birth Order.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't mind reading YA novels. But I'm not sure if it sounds like something I would like, might see if I can pick it up from the library rather then buying it!!

    ReplyDelete

I read and appreciate every comment; thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts!