Monday 20 June 2016

The Lake House - Kate Morton 




As we approach the cooler months, I tend to stay indoors a lot more, and as we had some miserable, grey days last week, it proved the perfect opportunity to get stuck into The Lake House by Kate Morton. 

I waited quite a long time on the local library list for this one, so I was keen to begin! 
At almost 600 pages, it needless to say, is a really long story, and I felt that it could've easily been a lot shorter if the author hadn't been so descriptive with certain parts of the story.
The story weaves back and forth through the decades - mainly 1933 to 2003.

1933 - 16 year-old Alice Edavane, daughter of Anthony and Eleanor, has two sisters and an adorable baby brother, Theo. They reside in a beautiful lakeside estate called Loeanneth, located in Cornwall. 

One night, 11-month-old Theo disappears, and it leaves the entire family distraught.
Theo's disappearance remains a mystery for many, many years. 

2003 -  Alice, now an old woman, and successful author, still struggles with the uncertainty of Theo's fate, even though she has her suspicions..

Sadie Sparrow, a private detective, is visiting her grandfather in Cornwall, and one day as she is out for a run, she comes across an old estate, which turns out to be Loeanneth. Sadie takes an interest in the property, and begins to find out all she can about it and the family who once lived there.
As she does, she uncovers certain things that bring Alice and her together.
The last part was really good, as everything just clicks into place and we discover the truth about what went on that night so many years ago, and I must say, that I would never have guessed the ending! 
It certainly made up for the bits that I found a little repetitive and/or unnecessary.
Overall, The Lake House is a lovely story, told in great detail, and I would recommend it to those who love mysteries.

8 comments:

  1. Kate Morton has a habit of making some parts repetitive in her books, and especially drawn out scenes at times, but I do love her historical perspective. I'm adding this one to my must read list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Cate, thanks so much for your comment!! It is worth a read even with the repetitiveness.
    I have just finished a great book; my blog post for that will be up in a few days for it. It's a book that is released next month, and well worth adding to the must read list too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a big Kate Morton fan, haven't read this one yet though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Janet! Thank you for your comment. This is the first of Kate's books that I've read, but I'm keen to check out her other novels as this was rather enjoyable.

      Delete
  4. Books which go on and on frustrate me...I would rather have a tight story but thank you for letting me know about this one as it comes up as a recommended read. Cheers, Denyse

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Denyse, yes I agree, I get frustrated too! Thanks so much for stopping by, and for your comment

      Delete
  5. It's good for a book to have an unexpected ending - unfortunately you can usually tell a book's ending from a mile away. Thanks so much for linking up this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kirsty, yes this one really took me by surprise, which was nice for a change as I can usually predict what's going to happen. Thanks so much for allowing me to link up!

      Delete

I read and appreciate every comment; thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts!